Friday, August 15, 2008

The Source of True Joy and Satisfaction


In unexpected times;
In times of caution;
In times of quiet;
And yes, even in times of prayer.
They come to me with mighty promises;
Promises of joy and pleasure;
Promises of satisfaction and delight;
Promises that call me to experience the happiness for which my heart desires and longs.
Like Paul, I find myself crying out "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate" (Romans 7:15).

But You, O Lord, the One who is Truth (John 14:6)
have given me Your Word which is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path (Psalm 119:105).
And your Word tells me that:
The promises of temptations are deceitful lies (Ephesians 4:22)
that never deliver what they guarantee.
That in Your presence alone is fullness of joy
and at Your right hand are pleasures forever (Psalm 16:11).
That only the pure in heart will see God (Matthew 5:8).
That You will never withold any good thing from me (Psalm 84:11).
And that You are faithful and powerful enought to keep Your promises
and bring them to pass (1 Thessalonians 4:24).

Lord, my hope is indeed in You alone.
You are my treasure and my valuable pearl (Matthew 13:44-46).
Your steadfast love is my satisfaction leading to great joy (Psalm 90:14).
And it is by Your magnificent and precious promises
that enable me to escape the corruption of the world and its lies
and allow me to become a partaker of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

Lord, I believe;
Help me in my unbelief (Mark 9:24).
Let me draw near You with a sincere heart in the full assurance of faith;remembering that You who promise are faithful (Hebrews 10:22-23).
And also remembering that without faith, it is impossible to please You; for those who come to You must believe that You are and that You are a rewarder of those who seek You by faith (Hebrews 11:6).
For it was this reward that Moses looked to as he considered the sufferings and reproach of Christ to be greater riches than the treasures of Egypt and the fleeting pleasures of sin (Hebrews 11:24-26).

And like Abraham, help me to look, by faith, to the city, whose foundation has God as its architect and builder (Hebrews 11:10),
Let me desire the better and heavenly country;with a city prepared by God (Hebrews 11:16).
Help me to remember that I have in You a better and lasting possession (Hebrews 10:34);
and that I shall behold Your face in righteousness; and I will be satisfied with Your likeness (Psalm 17:15).

When I consider all of these promises and that the One who makes them is able and willing to keep them; May I see the false promises of temptations for what they are;
And pray always that you will satisfy me with your steadfast love;
so that I may rejoice and be glad all of my days;
And may I like the deer pants for water (Psalm 42:1);
thirst for you as in a dry and weary land that has no water (Psalm 63:1);
For you are indeed the living water that alone
can quench and satisty this thrist forever (John 4:13).
And then again as before, like Paul, thought I cry out, "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" I will also cry "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:24-25)


No comments: