Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Meditation on Ephesians 1:7-8A











In Ephesians 1, Paul writes:



In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. (Ephesians 1:7-8A)




We see here that we have received redemption through Christ's sacrificial atoning death and the forgiveness of all our sins. But why have we received this redemption? Why do we have forgiveness of our sins while others around us do not? Is it something good or worthy in me? Is it something not in them? Well, Paul goes on to answer this question. We have been redeemed from the slavery of sin as our master through the accepted payment of Christ's death in our place and we have been forgiven of our trespasses according to the riches of His grace. There it is - Sovereign grace. Nothing in me could have merited this redemption. Nothing I could ever do could earn this forgiveness. God in His rich grace has given me these gifts and not just given them, but lavished them on us. This word lavish means to "be over and above; to abound." We are overflowing in the riches of God's grace upon us. May this simple fact crush all of man's self-glorification, pride and autonomy with respect to salvation. Salvation is all of God. And I am glad. Because if it depended even to the infinite decimal on me, I would be lost forever. Soli Deo Gloria


1. My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.

3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.



No comments: