Monday, December 6, 2010

Good Parenthood

Once again as Christmas is here, I enjoy listening to all the old Christmas songs to which I grew up listening.  As I get older, it brings back memories.  It seems each year, even after hearing a song hundreds of times, a phrase in a song will catch my attention.  This year, such is the song, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" which the Internet tells me was written by a Meredith Wilson in 1951.  One phrase in this song is this: "And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again."  What a pitiful commentary about parenthood.  Are the children really so much trouble that these parents can't wait to send their kids back to strangers so that they won't have to spend time with them.  And this desire takes place at Christmas which American tells us is all about the family.

While this lyric seems to demonstrate a warped view of parenthood, I fear that it may be true for many families today.  They can't wait for the holidays to be over so that they can ship their children to schools who teach them a worldview which denies Christmas in favor of a winter holiday.  While I confess that I have failed miserably over the years, I hope I have at least taught my children about the the incarnation of Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, come down to accomplish the salvation of His people.  We have enjoyed many of the  traditional aspects of Christmas, but I hope we have not lost sight of this.  Will any child get this at a school that teaches from a naturalistic worldview?  No - they must get this first from their parents.  So during this Christmas season, let us not long for sending our kids back to school, but take advantage of the time with them and teaching them of a Savior born who is Christ the Lord, good news for all types of people for He has come to save His people from their sin.

No comments: